ESA - Space for Kids - Global warming.
Carbon dioxide is currently the most important greenhouse gas related to global warming. For the longest time, our scientists believed that once in the atmosphere, carbon dioxide remains there for about 100 years. New research shows that is not true. 75% of that carbon will not disappear for centuries to thousands of years. The other 25% stays forever. We are creating a serious global warming.
Travel through Earth's recent climate history and see how increasing carbon dioxide, global temperature and sea ice have changed over time. Eyes on the Earth Track Earth's vital signs from space and fly along with NASA's Earth-observing satellites in an interactive 3D visualization. Global Ice Viewer Earth's ice cover is shrinking. See how climate change has affected glaciers, sea ice, and.
Many politicians and members of the public have only recently accepted that the increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide is to blame for global warming. Effects of global warming Melting polar ice.
Biological role. Carbon dioxide is an end product in organisms that obtain energy from breaking down sugars, fats and amino acids with oxygen as part of their metabolism.This is a process known as cellular respiration.This includes all plants, animals, many fungi and some bacteria.In higher animals, the carbon dioxide travels in the blood from the body's tissues to the lungs where it is.
Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change There is little doubt the air's CO 2 concentration has risen significantly since the inception of the Industrial Revolution; and there are few who do not attribute the CO 2 increase to the increase in humanity's use of fossil fuels.
The effects of global warming are having enormous impacts on sea turtles and other wildlife. The rate of global warming far exceeds the abilities of animals to adapt naturally to such dramatic environmental changes. Sea level rise from the melting of polar ice is already contributing to the loss of beach and sea turtle nesting habitat. Weather extremes, also linked to climate change, mean more.
An emerging technology with great potential for limiting global warming is carbon sequestration. In this process, carbon dioxide emitted from factories or power stations is captured and stored underground or underwater. The gas is pumped into natural reservoirs such as depleted oil and natural gas fields. Proponents of carbon sequestration argue that it could be used to store vast quantities.